Thursday, May 10, 2012

Let the camping adventures begin!

Big news – the Bleck’s are officially campers, with the purchase of a new (used) pop up camper! We went to look at it last Thursday and it was exactly what we were looking for to begin our family camping adventures. The kids thought it was great, running back and forth and climbing on the two king bed pull outs. Our first adventure will be Memorial weekend, when we spend Saturday and Sunday night at the farm. That way we a backup place to stay in the event of bad weather – or non-sleeping kids!

I am happy to report that soccer was an improvement last weekend. Nolan happily participated for the first half hour of practice. I’m not sure what happened after that, but on a break from chasing Kale around I told him he was doing a great job. After that he got pouty, sassy and refused to play. It didn’t help the weather was awful – cold and rainy. We’re hoping this Saturday will bring another improvement, that he actually participates and plays in the game!

We went to the zoo on Sunday with the kids for a family day. Adam was explaining to Nolan and Kale that the tigers have stripes. Nolan replied, “Tigers have stripes, just like your underpants, Dad!” A few of the people around us got a chuckle out of that. We celebrated Grandpa Greg’s birthday later that evening. Nolan was so excited for the cake that he sat at the table while everyone else finished eating – for about 15 minutes! There was a trick candle on the cake, too, and he thought that was “pretty funny”.

Kale's 2 year molars are breaking through, which means bedtime has become a little more difficult with him. He’s great until we put him down, then he starts making a fuss. We’ve been letting him cry it out, and usually by the time Nolan is in bed he has calmed down. If not we go in there and lay our hand on his belly until he’s relaxed. This all started after I stayed in Mankato with them a few weekends ago and Kale and Nolan shared a bed. Maybe we should consider that now!

A few days ago I was explaining to Nolan that apples are a fruit, just like strawberries, blueberries and grapes.  He quickly added "and watermelon!", so I thought I was on the right track with him.  He then stated "and milk", and pointed to his glass of milk. I said no, where does milk come from?  He replied, without missing a beat, "from a cow's butt".  I couldn't help but start laughing, and told him he must have meant the udders, and he said "yeah, the udders".  Ha ha!

Kale is starting to speak in sentences - although I'm sure we're the only ones who can understand him!  His favorite thing to ask is "what are you doing?"  The best is when he asks Nolan and he responds to him with whatever it is he's doing!

Adam's been gone all week on a work trip, so it's just been me and the boys.  I have to say I'm impressed with how willing they've been to work with me.  On Monday night I had to get the lawn mowed.  I asked Nolan and Kale to play in the garage, and for Nolan to watch Kale.  I have to say I was a little suprised that they actually stayed in the garage for the most part, other than when they wanted to peek out and see what I was doing.  I trimmed the shrubs last night and they both helped me by picking up the leaves, putting them in their wheelbarrow and dumping them on the tarp.  Hopefully they will still want to help me when they're older!


No comments:

Post a Comment