Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The plug



I had my first true case of mommy guilt today. No, it's not because I'm working. It's because somehow over the course of the last week Nolan became constipated and woke up this morning at 6 AM crying while he tried to do his business:( He hasn't woken up crying since he was a tiny newborn! He finally did the duty, but not without a lot of tears of pain. I felt sooooooooo bad for not doing anything. Adam and I had talked about giving him some dark corn syrup if he didn't go by today, but I really wish we would have done it yesterday morning. There is nothing worse than watching your baby cry because he is in pain - and knowing there's not a single thing you can do about it! I had to leave for work early today so Adam took care of getting Nolan ready and off to daycare. Adam called me when I was almost to work at 6:30 to let me know Nolan was fed and happy. I did call the nurseline to find out what we could do, and the nurse assured me I wasn't the first mom to call with these questions, nor would I be the last. Good to know, but certainly doesn't make you feel a whole lot better when it's your kid! We gave Nolan a few oz. of water this morning, and he had a few oz. of 100% apple juice at dinner tonight. We're also going to make sure he's getting 32 oz. of liquid everyday in addition to the 2-3 tablespoons of cereal. If that doesn't work we can give him up to 2 teaspoons of dark corn syrup to get things moving. I feel like this is something Adam and I should have known, but then again Nolan is our first kid and it's not like you sit around and talk about baby poo with people very often!

No comments:

Post a Comment