Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Our little monkey

Julie (daycare) couldn't wait to tell me what Nolan did today when I picked him up. She was in the kitchen, and Reese (5 yrs old) and Nolan were in the living room playing. Nolan was playing with an empty laundry basket - walking around and carrying it. He figured out how to flip it upside down, move it in front of the couch, and then climb on top of it to climb on to the couch! Julie went in to the living room when Reese said "Julie, you better get in here!" I guess since he's mastered walking, why shouldn't he start climbing on things right away?

Some of Nolan's new skills include saying "all done" when he's done eating, using a spoon to feed himself out of a bowl (check out the video - it's a bit messy!) and of course walking everywhere. He and Adam spent last weekend together so I could host a bridal shower and attend a bridal shower for Paulette. Nolan has always been cuddly, but he's super cuddly with Adam right now. Oh, another thing he's doing is hitting. Yep, I guess we're at that stage. Apparantly he didn't like the fact I was gone all weekend, so when I got home and tried to hold him he hit me in the face. It wasn't like he hit me really hard or anything, but it's not very nice behavior. I didn't feel so bad, though, because when Adam took Nolan, Nolan hit Adam, too. The time has come for either more re-directing or discipline! This comes on top of the fact he bit our good friend Jackie while she was babysitting him a few weeks ago. He is teething, but that's not a good excuse to bite someone!

Adam and I have been very busy since last Friday. Julie gave us a 2-week notice to find new daycare for Nolan. It doesn't seem like much time, but it was in the paperwork she gave us when we decided to go with her. Nolan is very happy there, so I'm sure he's going to have a bit of an adjustment going somewhere new (or maybe it will just be me that's going to have the hard time). I've probably spoken with 15-20different in-home daycares, and of those only 3 have a spot for Nolan right now and a baby in December or January, and 1 has a temporary spot for Nolan until the end of the year. So far we've met with 2 different women, and we were very impressed with both of them! A different neighbor 2 houses down our street has also offered up her daycare services for us, but not until next fall or winter sometime. We need to make a decision by next Monday, because Nolan's last day at Julie's is May 14th. As I said earlier, I think I'm going to have the most difficult time with Nolan going to a new daycare. I'd be happy with him going to either place we've visited so far, but he's really comfortable at Julie's and has never cried when we've left him there. It is going to break my heart to see him sad! I know kids are resiliant, but it's gotta be a little scary for them.

Wouldn't you know, softball season started tonight, and it's cold, windy and a little rainy. Seriously - it's been above average temps since March and now we get the spring we missed? Bad timing! I was going to take Nolan to the game, but let's be honest - I don't like cold, wet weather, so why would he? Plus, it was bath tonight and he went to bed at 6:25. His new walking skill really tires him out!

No comments:

Post a Comment