Saturday, March 28, 2009

So far, so good


Well, I am happy to report that week one plus Nolan is here. Adam and I feel like we're catching on to this parenting thing pretty well (but ask us that next week and we'll have a different answer, I'm sure!) We came home from the hospital last Monday. The first few nights Nolan slept really well. We have now figured out that his fussy time is between midnight and 2 a.m. With Adam going back to work on Monday, I've taken the night shifts. I like to tell myself I've figured out a couple of things, but I'm sure Nolan will keep me guessing! He sleeps in his crib most of the time, but not during the overnight hours. So, we head downstairs around 1 am and get comfy in the recliner. He falls asleep first, and then I doze on and off until he wakes up, usually between 4 and 4:30. I feed him a bottle and we hang out for about an hour, and then he falls asleep again - and this time I can get him down in his crib. He's been waking up around 8 or 8:30, and then Adam gets up with him so I can sleep a little longer. Of course during the day he sleeps great!

Adam and I keep talking about how this doesn't seem real quite yet - almost like we're "playing" house. But, every time we look at Nolan we realize this is real, and that we are very lucky parents. Nolan has a calm temperment so far, and he lets us know when he needs something. He hasn't cried uncontrollably - yet. His favorite thing to do, other than nap and eat, is to listen to us read books to him.

Today Adam is away from Nolan for the first time. He's at Vine Park Brewery in St. Paul, brewing beer with 5 of his friends. I'm heading down to Nate and Becky's with the little man to hang out with the girls for a kids play date. The boys will be rendezvousing there later this evening for a Pearl Jam rock session on Rock Band. I'm looking forward to my first day out of the house!

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes and congratulations. We can't wait for you to meet him (if you haven't already!).

PS Here's a 4th birthday shout out to our neice Emma!

No comments:

Post a Comment