Friday, April 17, 2009

He did it!


Today was a big day for Nolan. He accomplished what he's been working so hard to do all week - smile! He's always in such a good mood after he wakes up from his cat naps, as long as I put him on his changing table. I had the camera ready just in case he decided to break out his gummy smile, and low and behold he did! It was pretty funny watching him figure it out. Once he did he couldn't stop! Adam hasn't gotten to see him do it yet, so hopefully he'll be willing to break it out again tomorrow.

One reason he was probably smiling is because we finally made another trip back to the clinic to discuss a few lingering issues. For the last week or so his belly button has been bleeding a little bit each day. Apparantley this is rather common, which seems odd to me. It's caused by babies crying so hard during their fussy times (especially in the evening) that they case some fluid to leak out their still healing belly button. There's nothing we can do for that, other than watch it for the next few weeks to make sure it stops.

I also talked with the Nurse Practitioner about Nolan's reflux and gas issues. He is so uncomfortable all day long, and it's the main reason why he's not sleeping - he wakes himself up because of his discomfort. I left the clinic with a prescription for Zantac and two new kinds of formula to try - hypoallergenic and sensitive stomach. I can already tell it's helping him feel better. He napped really well all day! We'll see what happens tonight, though. The NP said Nolan should be sleeping about 4 hours straight, based on his age and weight (a whopping 8 lbs 2 oz!) It's Adam's turn to take the night shift, and he'll probably luck out with Nolan sleeping well for more than an hour and half!

I'm continually learning new things about being a parent, and feel like I'm starting to be able to figure out what Nolan needs. And when I can't figure it out I have to tell myself to take a deep breath, because I know he can't cry forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment