Monday, October 12, 2009

I'm a morning person, but . . .












5 AM on a weekend is just too much for me! Don't get me wrong - we think it's great that Nolan goes to bed so easy sometime between 6:30 and 7 every night and sleeps all night. However, he is developing a nasty habit of an early morning wake up sometime between 5 and 5:30. During the week it's not too bad, but on the weekends it's a killer! We're going to work really hard this week to keep him up until 7 each night. It will be hard, but hopefully it will help in the long run!

Last Thursday Nolan had his 6 month check-up - and it was only 2 weeks after he actually turned 6 months old! He now weighs 17 lbs, 4 oz. (50%), is 27 inches long (75%), and has a head circumference of 17 1/2 inches (70%). While he did gain 2 1/2 lbs since his 4 month check-up he actually went down % wise. The only thing that grew was his head. The rest of him might slow down but his face will keep getting rounder! The rest of his appointment went really well. The only time he cried was when he got 4 shots - 2 in each leg. It's just so sad to hear him cry because he's in pain. He wasn't quite himself all day on Thursday, but I guess that's to be expected. I have to bring him back to the dr. in a month for his seasonal flu vaccine and the H1N1 vaccine. *SIDE NOTE: Working at Park Nicollet certainly has advantages, and one of them is all the information I can access to make an informed decision. Based on everything I've read both Adam and I agree it's in our best interest to have Nolan immunized for H1N1. I'm sure we're not the only parents struggling with this decision. However, if we have the opportunity to protect him as best we can we're going to take it.* Nolan recovered nicely from his shots and other than a bruise on his right leg is fine. The dr. suggested we add a lunch feeding for him, so today we took pureed apples to Julie's. He liked eating with the other kids! He ate pureed chicken for the first time tonight, and seemed to think it was okay. I also started him on some finger foods on Saturday. He knew what he had to do, but you could see that his brain and hands weren't working that well together! By yesterday, though, he figured out how to get some puffs and veggie sticks in his mouth. He's getting better at using his sippy cup, but still has a ways to go. It will be nice when he consistently picks it up himself to have a drink. Nolan also mastered the art of rolling all over the living room, as well as sitting unassisted this weekend. He's making more and more noise and sounds, and this weekend discovered he can say "da da" and "daddy" - but he doesn't quite get the association to Adam yet. It sure is fun to hear him say it though, especially because I think it really means Adam needs to help him out!

I was super productive this weekend. Adam left for a 4 day hunting excursion up north Wednesday night, so I decided it would be a good time to paint the basement. My intent was to paint the area at the bottom of our stairs. On Thursday night I did the first coat of paint at the bottom of the stairs, and got done so fast I decided to add in the hallway. I didn't have a chance to paint again until Saturday morning, when I put on the 2nd coat of paint. Since I had the paint out I decided to continue on and painted the drop part by the ceiling. That wasn't enough for me, and after a short visit to Greg and Ellen's to see Adam's aunts and cousins I came home and painted 2 more walls. Since I was that far in to the project I decided I should just finish it, so yesterday I finished the 2nd coat on the 2 walls and finished the remaining 2 walls and a wall coming down our stairs. Adam helped me put all the furniture back and helped hang all the pictures on the wall last night. I have to say the basement looks so much nicer. I painted it tan, which looks really good with our red wall. It's amazing what a fresh coat of paint can do! You could just say I'm lazy because I don't like to wash walls. It's easier for me to paint! It took me 3 days to finish because the only time I could paint was when Nolan was napping or in bed for the night. Yesterday I also managed to start and finish a few loads of laundry, puree some baby food for Nolan, and pick up the house a little bit. It felt good to be productive, but I was exhausted and ready for bed at 8!

We don't have a whole lot going on this week, other than Adam's farewell to Park Nicollet happy hour on Thursday. Erica generously agreed to pick up Nolan from daycare for us so I can drive us home after happy hour. Adam starts his new job at United Health Group on the 26th of this month. We're not sure if we'll be able to car pool together anymore, but I think we'll give it a try. We save a lot of money by carpooling!

On a lighter topic last week was a great week to be a MN sports fan. The Gopher's played tough against Wisconsin and came up a little short, but made up for it Saturday against Purdue. The Vikings beat the Packers in the highest rated Monday night football game ever on ESPN, and our Twin's played in the most exciting baseball game I have ever, and will probably ever, watch last Tuesday against the Tigers. Despite the fact the Twins lost to the Yankees in a quick 3 game playoff series I am still in awe of the comeback they made to win the American League division. To be back 3 games with only 4 games to play and win the division is a miracle, and proof that hard work (and a little luck) pay off!

This weekend we're off to my parent's house for only the 3rd time since Nolan has been around. Should be fun because on Saturday my sisters and their families will be there as well. The only thing I really need to do this weekend is to sit down with Paulette and figure out when we can have her bridal shower and bachelorette party. June 2010 is coming up faster than we think!

No comments:

Post a Comment