Friday, July 16, 2010

Cast away

What we thought was just a sprained foot/ankle turned in to a hairline fracture in Nolan's fibia! It's been a crazy week, and the outcome of that was just one of the things keeping me busy. Adam was in New Mexico all week for work. I took him to the airport Monday morning. Daycare Jane was also on vacation this week, so we had family watching Nolan at our house most of the week (Paulette was the first for Monday and Tuesday). I also had our 32 week appointment on Monday afternoon for new baby. Side note: everything is going really well! My BP is really low, I don't have any swelling (yet), the baby's heartbeat is strong - and boy, is he/she busy in my belly! The dr. said if she can't figure out the position at our next appointment on the 26th that she'll probably do an ultrasound to find out. Paulette's report was that Nolan was good, but he was a little fussy because his foot was bothering him. On Wednesday he still wasn't walking really well, so I decided to make an appointment for him. The nurse line at our clinic told me that the next step was to see an orthopedic physician, so off I went with him to TRIA. Poor Ellen watched Nolan at their house on Wednesday, and while he did pretty good, he still wasn't quite himself. After meeting with the dr. and taking more x-rays, it was decided that the best option for Nolan was to put a full cast on his right leg to heal it. The dr.'s opinion at this point was that she couldn't quite tell if there was anything on his x-ray, but that this course of action would stabalize the leg to heal it in case there was a fracture. On Thursday morning I received a phone call at work that the radiologist had just reviewed his x-rays, and confirmed there is a hairline fracture in his fibia! We were way off in what we thought was hurting him! The course of treatment would have been the same - full cast for 2 weeks. The only difference is they'll re-xray it on the 28th at our follow-up to see if the fracture has healed. If it hasn't, he's back in a cast for another 2 weeks. We are praying it heals up quickly. Our plan is to move him in to his new bedroom the 1st week in August so that he has time to adjust to a big kid bed before new baby shows up around Sept. 4th. If he's in a cast until mid-August that will put a bit of damper on that plan!

Back to the busy week. . . on Tuesday I took the CRV in to get repaired and picked up my rental car. Wednesday was Nolan's appointment, and yesterday I picked up the CRV and went to see Footloose at the dinner theater with my girlfriends. Thank goodness my parent's were around to watch Nolan that last few days so I could still go out! Needless to say, I'm pretty tired tonight.

Adam arrived home safely this morning (although his flight was an hour and a half late). He stopped by Ellen and Greg's to check in on Greg (same day knee surgery - and he's at home doing quite well already!). Adam and Nolan picked me up at work at 4:20 and then we picked up Nolan's new playhouse! We also went out to eat at Baker's Square. We are going to veg out in front of the tv for a while, and then get to bed pretty early so we're well rested to tackle our to do list for the weekend. The due date is sneaking up on us fast, and there's still a lot to get done!

No comments:

Post a Comment