Thursday, September 23, 2010

Almost 2 weeks in with 2 kids

Yep, hard to believe, but we're a week and a half in to our new family of four. Kale is settling in quite well, and Nolan is doing as well as can be expected for a kid who is teething horribly and has a very runny nose! Adam went back to work on Monday, so it's been just me and Kale home during the day. Nolan is still going to daycare full-time, which is good for both him and me! Kale is showing signs that he is going to be a very laid back and calm kid. Of the time we've been home so far he's had one day which I would describe as more challenging, and by that I mean he needed to be held most of the day - which equaled me getting caught up on all my DVR shows (but no nap:(). It's definitely an adjustment for me and Adam, as our focus right now is on the boys. Luckily our friends Jared and LeAnna are getting married on Saturday, so we can enjoy a night out!

My parent's were here last weekend, and my mom took the overnight shifts with Kale. Both my parent's were also able to spend some quality time with Nolan. He had a blast showing off his mad skills - running, throwing, and being a very active 18 month old! Adam and I were very well rested, and well fed, by the time they left!

Kale had his one week appointment on Monday. He added an ounce to his birth weight, and weighed 7 lbs, 7 oz (35%), and remained the same length of 21 inches (90%). His head grew a half an inch, which puts him at 20%. He's been much easier than Nolan was at this point, and that's because he didn't end up back in the hospital! But what would a baby of ours be if it didn't have a little quirk or 2? Kale seems to have some issues in the poo department. In fact, since we've been home he's only done it twice on his own. Unfortunately, that means we've had to provide some assistance to him to get things moving. We switched to a soy based formula and are using probiotics twice a day to hopefully help his system get regulated. Our next step is to switch to a non-iron formula until he's 4 months old.

Nolan had his 18-month appointment today, and he did really well. It was the most calm Adam and I have seen him in a long time! I thought he would weigh in over 27 lbs, but I was wrong! He weighs 26 lbs, 4 oz (60%), is 32 1/2 inches long (50%), and appears to have a small head, only checking in at 19%. You wouldn't guess that by looking at his round face! He even survived the 2 shots he needed to get - the flu vaccine and the MMR. The MMR is tough, because it goes right in the muscle. He has a bruise and was feeling some pain at daycare today. Hopefully he'll sleep through the night! He had one tough night this week where he needed to be held because his teeth were hurting his so bad. He doesn't ever get up in the middle of the night, so Adam and I knew it was serious!

As far as how I'm doing - I think I'm adjusting well. I definitely have a different attitude about being at home with Kale, and that's to enjoy it. Kale won't stay a baby forever, and I really want to soak it all in! I've also realized that washing bottles isn't so bad (in fact, kind of a nice getaway!), and that not sleeping through the night isn't fun, but it's temporary (hopefully!).

No comments:

Post a Comment