Friday, October 21, 2011

Down with the sickness

Looking back at the summer of 2011, I think the thing I appreciate most is that our kids were healthy, minus one bought of strep throat. Fall is here, and the sickness has returned. Kale has had a fever since Wednesday. He's been up almost every hour the last 2 nights, so I took him to the dr. this morning before work. He so rarely even makes a peep at night, so I know he must be feeling awful. He had a little fluid in one of his ears and the strep test came back negative, so that's good. What's not good is that there is nothing else I can really do for him, except hope all his teeth come in faster. He was at daycare all day today. Thank goodness for Jane! Kale has been really needy, so she basically had to sit in the recliner with him all day. He slept an hour this afternoon on her lap and only ate yogurt. Jane texted me at 3:30 this afternoon to let me know that Nolan spiked a fever of 101 out of the blue, so he was also needy and whiny. I made a quick stop at Walgreens on the way home to stock up on nasal drops, Motrin, Tylenol and vapor rub. When I arrived at Jane's both boys were sitting on her lap while she rocked them. I'm sure she was glad to send them home, as I know what a long day it was for her!

Kale ate a little bit for dinner, which is more than what I can say for Nolan. I also gave them medicine with dinner. Nolan really liked his bubblegum flavored Motrin and wanted more. That was a fun conversation - he literally screamed at me when I told him no. I know he can't help it because he's sick, but it's tough to have to listen to it. I gave them a cool bath which seemed to help. I pulled out the humidifiers for both bedrooms and thankfully they were both sleeping by 6:45. I'm off to bed shortly. If the last 2 nights are an indicator I'll be up with one or both of them around 11.

I think the hardest part of all of this is that Adam is out of town on a hunting trip. It's just me and the boys until Monday evening. Hopefully they'll pull through and be on the mend soon. I called Paulette and put her on stand by, in case I need back up. Tomorrow is a new day (and thankfully not a work day), so I'll just hope for the best!

Potty update: Nolan woke up dry again this morning. Jane told me he napped in his underpants all week and has woke up dry every day, too. He also got a popsicle today. I'm so proud of him and how well he's doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment