Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Oh deer!


Nolan and I were walking around the house yesterday afternoon, minding our own business. We headed downstairs, and when we turned the corner and looked out our walkout sliding glass door there was a huge doe staring at us! I was a little surprised, to say the least. It must have just been having a mid-day snack at our bird feeder. Nolan and I watched it graze around the backyard for about 10 minutes. As soon as I saw her head to our firepit I knew she was after our hostas. I had to take action to save our poor hostas (they really took a beating from the deer last year), so I quickly went outside and shooed her away. There were at least 2 other does waiting for her at the bottom of the hill. Later yesterday evening I was sitting on our deck talking to Gina, and I saw another doe at the far end of our property, down the hill. I watched her for a while, and then all of a sudden she started snorting at me and kicking her leg back and forth. She did that for about 15or 20 minutes, and I couldn't figure out why. When Adam and Nolan got back from Ellen and Greg's house I told Adam about the snorting deer. He reminded me that he had just put a small salt block by the firepit in the lower backyard, and the deer was probably mad because I was too close to it! Ahhhh, nature in the suburbs.

Luckily the rain has held off today. Nolan and I were able to take a nice long walk earlier. He is so good in the stroller - probably because he's sitting in his car seat, which he loves! He was really good for about 20 minutes after our walk, and since then has had a tough couple hours. He's finally sleeping - yeah! He just seems to get himself so worked up when he's overtired that he can't calm down and just fall asleep. I'm sure this gets better with time! I do have to say that the overnight sleeping is going really well. He's only getting up once a night, sometime between 2 and 3. His bedtime has been around 9:45, and he's been waking up between 6 and 7 in the morning. It can only continue to improve, right??

Tonight we're headed over to a Mexican restaurant in Shakopee for Greg's birthday dinner, a day early. I'm sure it will be busy since it's Cinco de Mayo! This will be Nolan's first time at a restaurant, so hopefully it goes okay. We're going to be there during his fussy time. Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment