Sunday, June 28, 2009

Vacation, or a relocation?




We arrived home yesterday after a week spent with my family at Spirit of the North Resort on Leech Lake in Walker. I think I can confidently say everyone had a good time, despite the early morning wake up calls from any one of the five kids there! The cabin was plenty big, there was room for all of us at the dining room table, and there were plenty of activities for Emma and Lalayna. The beach was super relaxing. I sucessfully reached my goal of coming home with a great tan! My dad was thrilled by the easy access to the lake. He could just hop in his kayak any time he wanted and go float around the lake. Adam made it out on the boat with Eric all but one day, and caught a few really nice walleyes. I think the largest was 25 1/2 inches long! There were swings by the lake, so I was able to watch the sunset almost every night. We also had a bonfire pit in the front yard, and we took full advantage of it all but the first night and the last night. The weather was perfect - about 80-90 degrees and sunny. It rained a little on Tuesday and as we were leaving on Saturday, but otherwise it was sunny every day. The general consensus was that we would go back to the same resort again!

I think the biggest challenge for me and Adam on this trip was the realization that vacation as we have known it no longer exists. Yes it is great to get away and relax, but basically you're just relocating your normal routine with a baby to somewhere else. It was hard to realize that we couldn't just go do something we wanted to do, and that we had to take turns doing things on our own so the other person could take care of Nolan. By the last few days we adjusted to what a new vacation looks like for us. The next time we get away as a family it will be much easier, hopefully!

Nolan did really well throughout the week. On the ride up to the resort he only cried for 20 minutes. He had a tougher ride on the way home, but all in all did well. He slept okay at night, but didn't do as well with his naps. He found his toes last week, which was pretty funny. You could just see the wheels turning in his head as he realized he had not one but two feet! He also started giggling a little. He made his first swim in the indoor pool with Adam. He didn't smile, he didn't cry, but it seemed like he enjoyed it. If you ask either Emma or Lalayna their favorite part of vacation they will tell you the swimming pool! Nolan helped Adam celebrate Father's Day on his 3rd month birthday (June 21st), and we celebrated Adam's 32nd birthday on the 24th. We were able to meet up with our friends Gabe and Amanada and their little boy Ellis in Bemidji on Tuesday. It was amazing to see Ellis, who is only 8 weeks old, next to Nolan. Nolan looked like a tank next to him!

Tomorrow is back to reality for me - my first day back at work. I'm sure it will be fine, but it's a little nerve racking knowing it's been more than 14 weeks since I've been at work. Hopefully everything will come back to me fairly quickly and everyone remembers who I am! The big downer is that I'm going back to work with a lovely summer cold. Seriously, not the best timing in the world. Good thing there are drugs to help with it! Nolan isn't starting daycare until July 6th, so Adam is staying home with him tomorrow, Ellen is watching him on Tuesday, and I'm home with him Wednesday and Thursday. Friday is the July 4th holiday so both Adam and I will be home. We're celebrating the 4th in Albertville at a friend of my sister's house. They have a pool, so as long as there is a little shade Nolan will be swimming again!

No comments:

Post a Comment